Show your feet some loving attention
All you need is a small soft ball
Our feet carry our weight and move us around day-in and day-out. Let’s give them some attention with a sort of massage.
I am saying sort of massage because you will actually step onto the small ball with your body weight – it makes more sense when you watch the video.
I came across this exercise in a workshop many years ago but we did it with a small hard ball (not to be recommended – the hard ball). However, I simplified and shortened it and also decided that a softer ball has a much better effect.
What is the exercise about?
- Mainly it is about improving how you are standing on your feet – your balance and proprioception.
- You also wake up the feet.
- Since we add a ball, there will also be a lovely massage aspect to it.
What do I like about it?
- It is such a simple exercise which has a big effect on your feet.
- It is a great way to enhance any standing exercises you might be doing because you will stand better.
- You can even improve your balance because there is more awareness in the feet.
- Because we are massage the sole of the feet, you might feel the effect in the whole backline of your body. Try a Roll Down after this exercise and you might feel how much easier and smoother the movement is.
What prop do you need?
A very small squooshy soft ball with a lot of give. The ball has the size of a golf ball but is much softer. I don’t recommend doing this exercise with a golf ball – it is simply too hard.
If you don’t have such a ball, you can always roll some small socks together.
Where to place the prop
There a several spots which I will show in the video.
Which course/workshop is the exercise from?
- A Corona-friendly Friday bar in a pilates studio where we focused on the feet and hands.
And here is the video …
Video length: 7:56 minutes