Hamstring stretch and twist
Bring out your foam roller: We will need it for another one of those “double duty exercises” or get 2 for 1, maybe even get 3 for 1 ;o).
The exercise can do “double duty” in at least 2 ways:
- Focus area
- Perform the exercise slowly and with control (that is how I start out in the video)
- Perform the exercise in a more flowing and dynamic way – you are still in control (that is how I do it mainly in the video).
- Hamstrings – you can achieve a dynamic stretch in your hamstrings
- Ribbasket – release tension in the myofascia
- Rotation – Mobilisation of the spine
While most people who have tried this exercise agree on that it is lovely afterwards, many don’t enjoy it while it lasts ;o). And that is simply because they hold a lot of tension and are very sensitive on the side of the upper thorax. Or as one client once said: “It isn’t as painful as it used to be” … ;o).
What to do about it
- Well … do the exercise regularly ;o).
- Use a rolled up blanket instead of the foam roller (that is actually a wonderful alternative in its own right).
NB: A small note of caution for this exercise: If you or your clients are suffering from osteoporosis, this is not an exercise I would recommend because you are lying on your ribs with a lot of body weight.
What is the exercise about?
- Firstly, you release tension in the upper thorax by rolling across your myofascia on the foam roller.
- You are stretching your hamstrings dynamically.
- We add some proprioceptive input to the side of our ribbasket and mobilise it.
What do I like about it?
- I am a big fan of dynamic stretching in general.
- And I am also a big fan of dynamic exercises.
- You can choose to make it a slow & controlled movement or a dynamic & controlled movement
- You can do the exercise without the foam roller.
- Since you release myofascial tension around the ribbasket you improve shoulder flexibility and ease your breath.
- It is fun to swing your leg and rotate.
What prop do you need?
The foam roller
Where to place the prop
On the side of your ribbasket
Which course/workshop is the exercise from?
- English title: “Achieving efficient movement – how to combine pilates with myofascial release”
- Danish title “Pilates and Fascia – sådan kombinerer du pilatesøvelser med fascia release” – new course date 6 June 2021
And here is the video …
Video length: 3:07 minutes